By Barbara Higby
So far 2020 has been a roller coaster ride with lots of ups and downs—but no thrills. We search for answers to the cause and cure of COVID 19 and wonder which authority is trustworthy, honest, accurate. Then injustice, riots, and civil unrest assault us and the media foist opinions on us causing us to wonder what happened to objective reporting, why everything they say is divisive, and how desperate they are for ratings. Now one of the most contentious elections in our history is on the horizon with both parties making audacious claims and damning accusations.
A cacophony of voices offers a vast range of opinions about each crisis we face. There is too much divisiveness, personal aggrandizement, and political scheming. Who can we believe about any of these issues—which COVID doctors, which media voices, which political pundits? Over and again, I find myself repeating Pilate’s question, “What is truth?” I have come to one conclusion.
God is Truth—He speaks truth and He acts from truthful motives. His is the only voice I can trust so I turn my ear from the discordant noise around me and focus on the only reliable truth I can trust.
- God rules. “Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all.” (1 Chronicles 29:12) Did we think politicians rule?
- God has a plan. “I know that you can do all things; no purpose of yours can be thwarted. You asked, ‘Who is this that obscures my plans without knowledge?’ Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.” (Job 42:2-3) Would that our media would learn from Job!
- God unites. “From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands.” (Acts 17:26) and “There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” (Galatians 3:28) We misuse the term race—there is only one, the human race.
- God is the final authority. “He changes times and seasons; he deposes kings and raises up others. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him.” (Daniel 2:21-22) And politicians think it’s up to them!
There’s more but, even if there wasn’t, this would be enough. I challenge my fellow Americans to focus on truth and refuse the restless voices that seem purposed to disrupt and divide. God is our only certainty. His words alone can be trusted. His involvement in this world is our reality.
God is truth—and that’s enough for me.
The truth is…
- God is over all 1 Chronicles 29:11-12
- God is king Psalm 29:10-11
- God reigns Psalm 93:1-2
- God is great Psalm 135:5-6
- God is strong Psalm 62:11-12
- God is wise Daniel 2:20-22
- God is present Isaiah 41:13
- God is sovereign Daniel 4:34-35
- God is light Psalm 18:28-29
- God strengthens Habakkuk 3:19
- God is wise Job 42:1,3
- God is unshakable Psalm 75:2-3
- God sees Psalm 139:5,9-10
- God is unchangeable Jeremiah 29:11
- God restores Isaiah 61:1,3
- God is unafraid Psalm 2:1-2,4
Barbara Higby is a writer and inspirational speaker. Her latest book is entitled I Was Broken, Too; Four Paths to Renew Hope. You can read her bio and follow her blog at www.barbarahigby.com.