Photo: Supporters at a 2021 pro-life, anti-abortion prayer rally sponsored by the New Jersey Family Policy Alliance and the New Jersey Right To Life.
New Jersey Right to Life recently sponsored a Marist Poll that asked specific questions on abortion. Despite the fact that the majority of NJ adults support abortion, 60% said they believe abortion should be limited to at most the first three months of a pregnancy.
Additional statistics include:
- A sum total of 35% of residents believe abortion should either never be permitted or limited to exceptions, such as in cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the mother (6% said abortion should never be permitted; 29% said it should be limited to exceptions).
- Over six in ten (66%) residents oppose abortions in the last few months of pregnancy.
- 62% of residents also believe that individuals who have moral or religious objections to abortion should be able to opt out of paying for abortions in their private insurance plans.
- 57% of NJ residents do not think that doctors, nurses, or other health care professionals who have moral objections to abortion should be required to perform them.
- 70% of adults believe that abortion providers should be required to notify parents before performing abortion services on minors.
- 58% of New Jersey adults oppose state tax dollars being used to fund abortion services for residents from other states who come to New Jersey seeking abortion services.
- A broad consensus of New Jersey residents (74%) believe that scientific evidence should inform the state’s abortion policy.
“Democrat leaders and Governor Murphy are clearly out of step with the majority of NJ voters,” said Marie Tasy, Executive Director of New Jersey Right to Life. “It is no wonder that Governor Murphy and Democrat leaders engaged in shady backroom deals to keep the public in the dark in order to get the misnamed Freedom of Reproductive Choice Act, (P.L. 2021, C. 375) passed during the last days of a lame duck session.”
“This poll shows that NJ voters do not support P.L. 2021, C. 375, which shamefully legalized abortions all the way up to the moment of birth, removed conscience clause protections for individuals and health care professionals and contained language to block the passage of future, common sense laws that would set popular limits on abortion and allow parents to be notified before their minor child has an abortion.”
“We urge the legislature to pass S2282 without delay, which will repeal this radical and clearly unpopular law.”
RELATED: Pregnancy Centers Sue New Jersey Seeking Documentation for Unfair Statements Made in Consumer Alert
For more articles like this on the local Christian community in New Jersey and NYC, please subscribe to our mailing list.